• Breaking News

    The New Verse News presents politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues.

    Monday, January 9, 2017

    TILIKUM

    by Bayleigh Fraser




    I’m sorry, I thought you smiled at me
    when your mouth caved open for fish,

    teeth gleaming hooks, I thought you splashed
    my body because you saw parched lips

    with pearly onyx eyes, that you understood
    how I, riddled with Florida sun, could not have

    what you did, cold, water which was endless
    to my child self idolizing the girls in wetsuits

    and ponytails riding your back, you looking
    blanket soft beneath their hands. I thought

    that was love. Maybe it was. I’m sorry
    I loved a man who made me feel captive,

    like a second skin, who wanted my hands,
    my messy apartment, me gaunt-faced, his music

    tortured from the television speakers, but then,
    I was stroking his silky hair and having his baby,

    coming back to him, and you were thrashing
    for a way out. I’m sorry for returning to your spectacle.

    That you sliced open the pool and bent
    into the sun. That your body barrelled with gravity.

    The last time I watched you—you still shiny
    as a strip of old film, a fresh spill—I fought

    with my sister. Blaming the heat, how
    it buoyed our tempers. The two of us

    huddled in the back of stadium bleachers,
    our one handheld fan like a wish we couldn’t decide on.

    I’m sorry we forgot your pain. One sweat-baked face
    shoving another for the slightest draft, hands and curse words

    scraping for a chance to hold the new video camera.
    We were stormy voices. Confined bodies.

    A breath away from the other’s throat, what no one
    could have mistaken for love, but was all we knew.


    Bayleigh Fraser is an American poet currently residing and writing in Canada, where she hopes to continue her education in poetry. She previously studied at Stetson University in Deland, Florida. A Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net nominee, her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in 3Elements Review, A Bad Penny Review, The Brooklyn Quarterly, One, Qu, Rattle, and other publications.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment