• Breaking News

    The New Verse News presents politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues.

    Friday, January 20, 2017

    POEM FOR THE INAUGURATION

    by Jon Wesick




    I hope I’m wrong,
    so wrong my name becomes slang
    for a tragic blunder
    as in, “Custer sure pulled a Wesick
    at the Little Bighorn!”

    I hope jobs return to the rust belt
    and displaced workers
    will now buy gold-plated mansions
    and endow professorships at Harvard.
    I hope the new president’s tweets
    scare the beards off ISIS
    and that from now on all terrorists
    will come with big letter T’s
    tattooed on their foreheads.

    I hope greenhouse gasses
    bring back the black rhino
    and mountain gorilla.
    I hope the free market
    lowers the cost of heart transplants
    and cancer treatment to $1.95.

    I hope doctors determine cake and ice cream
    make the most nutritious breakfast
    and that playing video games
    burns more calories than running.
    I hope high school students don’t need algebra
    for high-tech careers and that cheerleaders
    want to sleep with guys who can’t dance.
    I hope I really can earn $100,000
    by working 3 hours a week from home.
    I hope our new president
    rekindles the American dream.


    Jon Wesick hosts Southern California’s best ice cream parlor poetry reading and is a regional editor of the San Diego Poetry Annual. He’s published hundreds of poems and stories in journals such as the Atlanta Review, Berkeley Fiction Review, Metal Scratches, Pearl, Slipstream, Space and Time, Tales of the Talisman, and Zahir. The editors of Knot Magazine nominated his story “The Visitor” for a Pushcart Prize. His poem “Meditation Instruction” won the Editor’s Choice Award in the 2016 Spirit First Contest. Another poem “Bread and Circuses” won second place in the 2007 African American Writers and Artists Contest. Jon is the author of the poetry collection Words of Power, Dances of Freedom as well as several novels.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment