• Breaking News

    The New Verse News presents politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues.

    Saturday, January 14, 2017

    MILD, FOR WINTER

    by Ron Singer




    Although the day was mild, for winter,
    I decided to wear my warmest coat.
    Nor did I neglect to transfer my gloves.
    I prepared and ate a hearty breakfast,
    balancing food groups, vital nutrients.
    Checking my wallet, I removed a ten,
    leaving enough to placate hold-up men.
    On the train, I read selectively
    from the paper: soccer, basketball scores.
    When the train was full, I ceded my seat
    to someone who looked needier than me.

    Why do I feel so vulnerable today?
    Could it be the prospect, or certainty,
    of a four-year political winter?


    Ron Singer’s seventh book, a collection of Maine poems, Look to Mountains, Look to Sea (2013) won an award and was nominated for a Pushcart. His eighth Uhuru Revisited: Interviews with Pro-Democracy Leaders (2015) can be found in about 100 libraries across the U.S., and beyond. His ninth, and most recent, is a double memoir Betty & Estelle/A Voice for My Grandmother (2016). 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment